Charles Manson supporter arrested after he tried to smuggle a cell phone into jail for the cult leader
A follower of Charles Manson has been arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle a cell phone inside a California prison where the mass murderer is housed, authorities said Tuesday.
Craig Carlisle Hammond, 63, was arrested Sunday for investigation of conspiracy, possession of an illegal communication device and attempting to bring a cell phone into a prison.
He was taken to jail and was released after posting bail. He is scheduled to be in court next month
Hammond had a wrist watch cell phone that was found by a correctional officer at Corcoran State Prison in an area where the device is prohibited, authorities said.
The phone never got into Manson’s hands.
However, this isn’t the first time that the notorious cult leader who is serving a life sentence for orchestrating a series of gruesome murders more than 40 years ago has been caught trying to communicate with the outside world.
Manson has been found with a smuggled cell phone twice in the past four years.
In 2009, Manson was found with a phone and he had been calling and texting people in California, Florida, New Jersey and British Columbia.
Two years ago, he also was found with a phone
Recent legislation in California makes it a misdemeanor to smuggle a cell phone into a prison, punishable by a fine of up to $5,000.
Hammond goes by the name Gray Wolf that was given to him by Manson and regularly visits the 78-year-old prisoner, according to the Los Angeles Times
This incident comes just weeks after one of Manson’s followers was denied parole.
The state’s parole board had recently approved the release of 70-year-old Bruce Davis, who was convicted in two Manson-related murders, since he has served more than four decades in prison.
Governor Jerry Brown reversed that decision and ordered Davis to remain in jail after having a meeting with the Los Angeles district attorney.
Davis would have been only the second Manson-related murder defendant to be granted parole since the killing spree began in 1969.
Fonte: Daily Mail